Serves: Makes 2 puddings
- 30g Western Star Butter for lightly greasing the pudding basins
- 375g Sultanas
- 375g currents
- 375g raisins
- 125g mixed peel
- grated rind of one lemon
- 2 cooking apples, grated
- 250g Western Star butter, grated
- 375g soft white breadcrumbs (5 cups)
- 250g sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- good pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of brandy or rum if desired
- Prepare 2 pudding basins by lightly greasing with butter.
- Cut raisins and mixed peel into even sized small pieces.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Sift flour, salt and spices over breadcrumbs.
- Add the grated butter, apple, lemon rind, mixed fruits and sugar.
- Beat eggs until frothy and add rum or brandy if using.
- Add to other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Mixture should be fairly soft.
- Spoon into the prepared basins and cover with greaseproof paper and foil or cloth.
- cure tightly with string.
- Boil for 7 hours on first day and further 4 hours on day it will be eaten.
Delicious with brandy cream and quality ice-cream!
While it does require boiling for a long time, it can be done well in advance and is definitely worth the effort!