- Beat in half the icing sugar for 2 minutes until well incorporated. Add milk and beat for a further 2 minutes, then beat in remaining icing sugar for a further 2 minutes. The icing should be fluffy and smooth.
- Beat butter in an electric mixer for 10-15 minutes until very light and creamy in colour.
- Beat in variation of choice until well combined, use immediately for spreading on cakes.
- Chocolate: 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (add to icing sugar before sifting)
- Passionfruit: 2 tablespoons passionfruit pulp
- Coloured Butter Cream Icing: Small drop of food colouring of choice
- Experiment with flavours by adding a range of flavouring essences such as peppermint, coconut and orange, during step 3.
- The key to this recipe is beating the softened butter until it is very light and fluffy, be patient with this step.
- A little food colouring goes a long way when colouring icing. For pastel colours, dip a skewer into the food colouring and swirl through the icing before beating.
IN THIS RECIPE
Western Star Unsalted is a great regular unsalted butter that is suitable for everyday cooking and baking needs. It allows the cook to regulate the seasoning required for the dish. Expertly crafted from one natural ingredient.
More Baking & Desserts recipes
Forgotten to soften the butter?
Grate butter coarsely, spread onto baking paper and stand for 10 minutes before using. Alternatively chop into 2cm cubes, microwave on 30% power in 10 second bursts until just softened.