- Preheat oven to 180°C /160°C fan-forced. Grease a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan and line base and sides with baking paper, extending 3cm over long sides.
- Stir 150g unsalted butter and chopped chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat until mixture is smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Stir in sugar and eggs until combined. Stir in flour, sour cream and colouring until smooth and combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
- Meanwhile, make vanilla buttercream, place 100 g butter and vanilla in a large bowl. Using a mixer, beat unsalted butter until pale. Gradually add sugar until smooth and combined. Adjust thickness of icing with milk
- Remove brownie from pan. Using a 6 cm star cutter, carefully cut 16 stars from brownie. Spread a layer of buttercream over half the brownie stars. Stack with remaining brownie stars to form 2 layers. Add a little dollop of buttercream to the top brownie star and scatter with crushed candy canes.
IN THIS RECIPE
Western Star Unsalted is a great regular unsalted butter that is suitable for everyday cooking and baking needs. It allows the cook to regulate the seasoning required for the dish. Expertly crafted from one natural ingredient.
More Baking & Desserts recipes
Which butter should I use to make sweet pastries?
We recommend Chef's Choice - it's higher fat content and creamier finish makes it ideal for sweet pastries.