Salted caramel sauce
Note: This recipe requires 3 hours for cooling.
- 1. Place the sugar and water into a saucepan over medium high heat. Swirl the saucepan to moisten the sugar. Using a pastry brush dipped in water brush any granules of sugar off the sides of the pan.
- 2. Cook the sugar until a dark amber colour is achieved, remove the pot from heat and very carefully add the cream. Whisk in the cream followed by the butter and return the pot to the stove over medium heat and cook for a further 5 mins, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla and salt. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and refrigerate for at least 3 hrs.
- 1. Place the cream into a bowl of an electric mixer and whip until soft peaks form.
- 2. To assemble, break the chocolate cakes into pieces. Place half of the cake pieces into a trifle dish, top with one third of the caramel, half of the cream and 100g of berries. Repeat this process once more.
- 3. Garnish the top of the trifle with the remaining caramel and fresh berries.
- Try using other fruits instead of berries such as peaches or cherries
- Try adding a flavour to the cream such as orange zest or vanilla
IN THIS RECIPE
Original Salted Butter
Western Star is Australia’s favourite butter. It’s a classic, pure creamery butter with a rich satisfying, five-star taste. Winner of Champion Butter at the 2019 Australian Grand Dairy Awards, this product sets the benchmark by which all other butters are judged. Expertly crafted from only two natural ingredients, cream and salt.
More Baking & Desserts recipes
Forgotten to soften the butter?
Grate butter coarsely, spread onto baking paper and stand for 10 minutes before using. Alternatively chop into 2cm cubes, microwave on 30% power in 10 second bursts until just softened.