Baking & Desserts
Prep 20 mins. /Cook 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over a medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the apple, sultanas, and lemon zest. Stir gently for 5 minutes or until the apples have softened. Set aside.
- Lay out the pastry and cut each square into 4. Place 1 tbsp of the apple into the middle of each square, and sprinkle with 1 tsp of caster sugar. Brush the edges lightly with water. Fold one corner over to the opposite corner, and press the edges together. Transfer onto the prepared tray, and make a small piercing in each turnover to allow steam to escape.
- Mix the egg yolk and milk together, and brush over the pastry using a pastry brush. Sprinkle over the remaining sugar and place into the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until puffed, golden and crisp. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Eat warm with cream or ice cream, or at room temperature as an afternoon treat for the kids. Try using pear instead of apple or a mix of both!
IN THIS RECIPE
Western Star Unsalted is a great regular unsalted butter that is suitable for everyday cooking and baking needs. It allows the cook to regulate the seasoning required for the dish. Expertly crafted from one natural ingredient.
More Baking & Desserts recipes
Which butter should I use to make sweet pastries?
We recommend Chef's Choice - it's higher fat content and creamier finish makes it ideal for sweet pastries.