Don't leave this to the last minute. Please allow 3 hours for refrigeration throughout the method.
- Melt butter, sugar, milk and cocoa in a small saucepan, over low heat until smooth and combined. Cool for 5 minutes before whisking in eggs. Fold in flour and pour into a baking paper lined 20cm x 20cm square cake pan. Bake at 180°C for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Cool, then store in an airtight container until required.
- For Icing, beat butter for 2 minutes with an electric mixer until smooth and pale, gradually add sifted icing sugar and cocoa, continue beating for 7-10 minutes until very light and fluffy. Store in a cool dark place until required.
- Mix cornflour and 1 tablespoon cherry juice until smooth, pour back into remaining juice and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring constantly until thickened, stir in cherries and warm through for 30 seconds, cool at room temperature for 1 hour.
- To assemble, trim uneven peak off top of cake. Cut the cake in half, to make two logs, then slice each log in half horizontally to form 2 layers. Spread all four pieces of cake with the chocolate frosting. Line up two pieces of cake (icing side up) on a long serving platter to form a long log. Spread cream over the log leaving a 5mm border, top with cherries and remaining to layers of cake, (icing side up). Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving, topped with fresh cherries.
- Morello cherries are slightly sour, they are available in a jar from most good supermarkets.
IN THIS RECIPE
Original Salted Butter
Western Star is Australia’s favourite butter. It’s a classic, pure creamery butter with a rich satisfying, five-star taste. Winner of Champion Butter at the 2019 Australian Grand Dairy Awards, this product sets the benchmark by which all other butters are judged. Expertly crafted from only two natural ingredients, cream and salt.
More Baking & Desserts recipes
Forgotten to soften the butter?
Grate butter coarsely, spread onto baking paper and stand for 10 minutes before using. Alternatively chop into 2cm cubes, microwave on 30% power in 10 second bursts until just softened.