Baking & Desserts
Prep 10 mins. /Cook 15 mins.
- Using fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add milk, stirring with a metal spatula or butter knife until mixture comes away from the sides of the bowl. If mixture is dry, add a little extra milk.
- Turn mixture onto a lightly floured bench and knead only until a rough ball of dough is formed. Pat dough to 2 cm thickness and use a 6cm cutter to cut rounds from the dough in swift movements, without twisting the cutter.
- Arrange scones onto a baking paper lined tray and bake at 220°C for 12-15 minutes until golden and they sound hollow when lightly tapped on the base.
- Serve scones straight from the oven with jam and cream.
- Date & Orange-add chopped fresh dates and grated orange rind to dry ingredients.
- Lime & Cranberry-add dried cranberries and grated lime rind to dry ingredients.
- Cheesy Corn & Bacon-add grated Perfect Italiano parmesan, cooked chopped bacon and creamed corn to dry ingredients.
IN THIS RECIPE
Western Star Unsalted is a great regular unsalted butter that is suitable for everyday cooking and baking needs. It allows the cook to regulate the seasoning required for the dish. Expertly crafted from one natural ingredient.
More Baking & Desserts recipes
White Chocolate, Pistachio, Cherry Trees
White Chocolate, Pistachio, Cherry Trees made with Western Star Chef's Choice Butter.
Which butter should I use to make sweet pastries?
We recommend Chef's Choice - it's higher fat content and creamier finish makes it ideal for sweet pastries.