- To make the gingerbread, melt Butter, brown sugar and golden syrup together in a saucepan, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg and butter mixture in a large bowl. Sift the flour, spices and bicarbonate of soda over the butter mixture and mix until combined into a smooth dough. Flatten into a disc shape, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until just firm.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Divide dough in half. Roll each half between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Place on baking trays and bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to completely cool before making Rocky Road.
- Grease a 3 cm-deep, 20 cm x 30 cm (base measurement) slice pan and line base and sides with baking paper, extending 3cm over long sides.
- Break 350 g (approx. 2 cups) of the cooked gingerbread into bite-sized pieces. Combine broken up gingerbread, coconut, marshmallows and lollies in a large bowl.
- Cut small triangles, about 6cm high, from the remaining gingerbread and set aside.
- Place chocolate and Butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Stir until chocolate has melted. Remove bowl from the pan.
- Pour melted chocolate over the gingerbread mixture. Using a spatula, mix until combined. Spread gingerbread mixture into prepared pan. Carefully press the gingerbread triangles upright into the mixture, adding a little extra of the melted dark chocolate mixture to cement the triangles into place if needed. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set. Cut rocky road into pieces. Serve.
IN THIS RECIPE
Western Star Unsalted is a great regular unsalted butter that is suitable for everyday cooking and baking needs. It allows the cook to regulate the seasoning required for the dish. Expertly crafted from one natural ingredient.
More Baking & Desserts recipes
Forgotten to soften the butter?
Grate butter coarsely, spread onto baking paper and stand for 10 minutes before using. Alternatively chop into 2cm cubes, microwave on 30% power in 10 second bursts until just softened.