- Note: this recipe requires an additional 15 minutes for resting.
- Process flour and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles breadrumbs. Add water and pulse until dough begins to come together into a ball, do not overmix. Scoop mixture into a plastic freezer bag and gently press into a smooth disc.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Roll out pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper to a 3mm thickness. Line a loose based 24cm flan tin with pastry, trimming the excess. Prick base with a fork and push a large sheet of foil into the pastry shell, pressing it up and over the sides.
- Bake pastry at 190°C for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 10 minutes until crisp and golden. Cool then use as required.
- Cheddar Pastry – add 80g grated cheddar cheese to flour in food processor.
- Black Pepper Pastry – add 1/2-1 teaspoon cracked black pepper to flour in food processor.
- Seeded Mustard Pastry – add 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard to flour in food processor.
- Don't overwork the pastry in the food processor, this develops the gluten in the flour producing tough pastry.
- If there are holes in the pastry when lining the tin, use a little excess pastry to patch them up.
- When using a recipe that requires a baked filling, remove the pastry after the first 15 minutes of baking, remove the foil and cool, then fill and bake until filling sets. Never fill a hot pastry shell.
- This pastry recipe can be used to line 4 x 12cm individual tart tins. Bake for 10 minutes, remove foil and bake for a further 5 minutes until crisp and golden.
IN THIS RECIPE
Original Salted Butter
Western Star is Australia’s favourite butter. It’s a classic, pure creamery butter with a rich satisfying, five-star taste. Winner of Champion Butter at the 2019 Australian Grand Dairy Awards, this product sets the benchmark by which all other butters are judged. Expertly crafted from only two natural ingredients, cream and salt.
More Mains recipes
Forgotten to soften the butter?
Grate butter coarsely, spread onto baking paper and stand for 10 minutes before using. Alternatively chop into 2cm cubes, microwave on 30% power in 10 second bursts until just softened.