Baking & Desserts
The Best Gingerbread
Prep 15 mins. /Cook 30 mins.
The Best Gingerbread
- Pre heat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan forced. Line baking trays with baking paper.
- Melt butter, brown sugar and golden syrup together in a saucepan, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Whisk egg and butter mixture in a large bowl. Sift flour, spices and bicarbonate of soda over the butter mixture and mix until combined into a smooth dough. Flatten into a disc shape, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 - 40 minutes or until just firm.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to ½ cm thickness. Cut into shapes using chosen cookie cutters and use a lifter to transfer onto lightly buttered trays. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until cooked and lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes on trays before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once gingerbread has cooled, beat egg white until foamy then gradually beat in icing sugar until piping consistency. Spoon into a piping bag. Decorate gingerbread with icing, gold & red dragees.
- Experiment with different shaped cookie cutters. Gingerbread people and stars are great, but maybe you have a llama shaped cookie cutter that would be fun to try.
- Mix in a drop of food colouring when making the icing to create fun colours to decorate with.
IN THIS RECIPE
Chef's Choice Unsalted Cultured Butter
When you really want your pastry and baking to shine, unsalted cultured butter delivers with that sought after creamier fresh tasting butter that is versatile and ensures great results every time. As an unsalted butter, Chef's Choice allows you full control over the seasoning of your dish. Winner of the Champion Butter award at the 2018 Australian Grand Dairy Awards, Western Star Chef’s Choice Unsalted Cultured Butter is a premium quality butter, celebrated for its extra creamy continental taste and texture. Western Star has been Crafting Butter in Victoria since 1926 when the leading butter makers in the Western District came together. Over 95 years later and trusted for generations, Western Star truly is Australia's Favourite
More Baking & Desserts recipes
Which butter should I use to make sweet pastries?
We recommend Chef's Choice - it's higher fat content and creamier finish makes it ideal for sweet pastries.