Apple Berry Mixture
- In a medium (about 2 litre capacity) oven-proof lidded frying pan, combine the butter and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until melted and combined. Add the chopped apple and toss well to coat. Cover with the lid and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Toss through the mixed berries.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/185°C fan forced. Place the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl, and use your fingertips to rub the butter into the dry ingredients until large clumps form. Scatter over the berry mixture to evenly coat.
- Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden and juice is bubbling.
- While the crumble is cooking, make the zesty orange custard.
Zesty Orange Custard
- Pour the cream into a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add almost all the orange zest (reserving a small amount to garnish) and stir to combine. Bring to just before boiling point and turn off heat.
- Place the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a large heat-proof bowl. Use a balloon whisk to whisk until pale and creamy. Gradually pour the hot cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until combined and smooth. Return to the saucepan over very low heat. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes or until custard is thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Serve the crumble with the orange custard and sprinkled with reserved orange zest.
- Western Star Spreadable Original Soft can be used as a substitute for butter in this recipe.
IN THIS RECIPE
Spreadable Original Soft
We’ve taken the five-star Western Star taste you know and love and made it soft and spreadable. Ideal for sandwiches, toast, pancakes and more.
IN THIS RECIPE
Chef's Choice Unsalted Cultured Butter
Western Star Chef’s Choice Premium Cultured Unsalted is a premium quality butter that’s noted for its extra creamier continental taste and texture. A creamier fresh tasting butter that’s versatile and ensures great results every time.
More Baking & Desserts recipes
Forgotten to soften the butter?
Grate butter coarsely, spread onto baking paper and stand for 10 minutes before using. Alternatively chop into 2cm cubes, microwave on 30% power in 10 second bursts until just softened.